Thursday, April 26, 2012

Funny Experience


It was just like any other night. I had just logged off of Facebook and was laying in bed, staring at my ceiling. And like every other night, I couldn't just sleep on command. I was wide awake, thinking about what I was going to do tomorrow. Probably ride my bike or watch a movie with my girlfriend, you know, regular teenage stuff. Little did I know, my whole perspective on life would change that night. 

As my thoughts were fading and fading away and I was slowly drifting into a subconscious dream, a sudden rush of what felt like a swarm of ants came crawling from my toes, up my spine, and to my face. I've never had a swarm of ants crawling on my skin, but I was pretty sure it would of felt like that. I started breathing hard, my limbs went numb, and my vision blurred. I was hyperventilating (a.k.a. having a panic attack). I had one last summer; the first day of summer school, I was rushed to the hospital. The only thing I had on my mind aside from the fear of passing out was the question: What are you going to do about high school? 

Two weeks prior to that night I got a letter from my counselor, saying that I was incredibly behind in credits. I had two choices: Either I bust my ass off trying to recuperate credits via adult school and summer school or I get my high school credentials some other way. I shouldn't have blown it off, the summer school deadline was last week. In this country you need at least a high school diploma to secure a decent job. My life was surely over.

Back then I had a completely different way of approaching situations. I’d always think of the worst case scenario. In this case: If I tried the adult school route, I would simply not finish on time and I’d be forced to stay in school another year, and be the laughing stock. Or if I left Hamilton and got my diploma somewhere else, I’d lose all my friends and my girlfriend, and be the laughing stock. I was never the coolest kid in school so the couple colleagues I had would completely vanish. I was also a very jealous and dependent boyfriend (so was my girlfriend). I thought a break up was inevitable because we would not see each other as much. 

I was finally calming down so I called my girlfriend. It was 1 A.M. so I wasn't so sure she would pick up. She did. 

“Babe” I said.

“Yeah?” 

I immediately started to cry. 

“I’m a goddamn failure! I might be leaving Hamilton”

“What! Why? You’re not a failure.” she said as she started crying, too. 

“Insufficient credits to graduate. I can either stay and work extra hard and maybe graduate on time or I leave and get my diploma some other way” 

By the end of the call, we were both drowning in our tears. 

It’s been over six months and I can say I've matured enough to feel utter disappointment to how I reacted. I let the dark, irrational fears get the best of me. I’m ashamed at the fact that I cried. I behaved like a complete wuss crying on the phone and hyperventilating at that miniscule problem. If I were in a similar situation now, I would behave in a completely different manner. I guess you can say I’m a lot more manly, tough, experienced. It’s embarrassing. 

I did end up losing some friend and we did end up breaking up (I guess my predictions were right). But it’s good now, you know? I thought my life was was going to be ruined, but no. It’s actually better. I finished the home school program extra early and graduated a semester before my class of 2012. Now I'm in college, meeting new people. Things don't always go as planned but they always manage to fall into the correct place.




No comments:

Post a Comment